More Information

If you are legally married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and you are outside Australia, you may qualify for an SC 309 Partner visa

You have to:

  • Have a mutual commitment to share a life as a married couple, to the exclusion of all others
  • Be in a relationship that is genuine and ongoing
  • Live together with your partner (Exemptions Apply)
  • Be outside Australia when applying for this visa


With a SC 309 Partner visa you can:

  • Remain in Australia whilst your permanent Partner SC 100 visa is decided or withdrawn. This is for a minimum period of 2 years (Exemptions Apply)
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
  • Qualify for Medicare
  • Include dependent children in your application


Indicative Costs:

The SC 309 visa is applied simultaneously with an SC 100 and therefore there is only one single government visa application charge (VAC) payable for both visas at the time when you apply for an SC 309

  • Government visa application charges (VAC) – AUD 7850
  • Registered Migration Agent (RMA) charges – AUD 3850
  • Other charges such as medical, police clearance, etc. are applicable and can vary.

There is also a fee for each family member that joins you on your application.


  • Your relationship can be with someone of the same or a different sex
  • You may still be eligible even if your relationship breaks down or partner dies. Please contact our office to learn more.
  • You have to have a sponsor to enable you to apply for an SC 309
  • Your sponsor needs to be approved
  • Your sponsor is usually your partner (Exemptions Apply)
  • You cannot change your sponsor for as long as your SC 309 is in place. (usually 2 years)
  • You have to be at least 18 years’ old
  • You must meet the health requirements
  • You must meet the character requirements